Friday, December 17, 2010

Cast iron crumble


I love cast iron cookware. It does things no other pan can do. I've got a full rundown on cast iron coming soon, so today I offer a simple crowd pleasing fruit crumble recipe. I developed this recipe for the barbeque grill, but it works just as well in the oven. One day I was looking for dessert to bring to a backyard barbeque at a friend's place. I wanted something that could be cooked on the grill while we enjoyed our meal, as I didn't want my friends to turn on their oven in the July heat. In truth, I just threw together some basic ingredients in eyeballed proportions that I could assemble on site. It's a basic ratio; 1/1/2/1 butter/flour/sugar/oats, with a few minor but important players rounding out the cast. Everyone enjoyed my efforts, and I've continued to tweak and tinker with the recipe a dozen times since. I made an apple crumble the other day to confirm the recipe is ready for general consumption, and we weren't disappointed! Here it is.

1 can fruit pie filling   
1/2 C (1 stick) butter
1/2 C AP flour
2/3 C dark brown sugar
1/3 C white sugar
1/2 C oats
1/2 t salt
1t baking powder
1t cinnamon
1t vanilla
3t water

The method is very simple. Preheat your oven or grill to 425°F. Combine the dry goods. (flour, sugar, oats, salt, baking powder and cinnamon) Cut in the butter. Add the vanilla and water to form a coarse mixture. Lightly grease your 10” cast iron skillet and add a can of your favorite pie filling. I grease with butter; it makes for crispy crust, and nothing tastes better!  Pour the crumble mixture over the fruit, and drag a fork through to bury some of the crumble. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, and serve! 


2 comments:

  1. What kind of oats--quick or old-fashioned--or doesn't it matter? Love the photos, especially the 3-in-1 pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use rolled oats, because I keep them around the house for cookies.

    ReplyDelete