Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chocolate Part II

This is an ode to my favorite candybars.  You already know from Chocolate Part 1 that I greatly prefer European chocolate to Big American chocolate.  I've got only one use for a Hershey bar, and it's for making smores.  A Hershey bar won't melt and make a mess, and that's it.  The playing field gets much more crowded when you start to add things to the candybar, often relegating the actual chocolate to a background singer.  So here are some favorites, in no particular order.




Twix
Caramel, cookie, and chocolate.  Extra points for easy to eat stick form.  Excellent when chilled, destroyed forever by leaving in a warm place.


Kit-kat
Great texture, decent chocolate, excellent form.  The snap makes you work for your treat.


Zero bar
Mysterious white chocolate* covers caramel and nougat. Points for visual appeal. I once ate two king-sized bars in a sitting and puked.  I still like them.
(White chocolate isn't chocolate, by law.)


Almond Joy
Again, me and coconut.  I favor the AJ over it's more feminine sibling, the Mounds.  The chocolate is the main reason, and for the same price, I'll take free almonds, thank you very much.  The coconut is sweet and moist if you get a fresh one, which isn't hard at a place that turns over their candy stock.  These should really only come in fun size and king size.  The latter gives me four bars, the former allows me to eat single bars from a bag until I have to stop.


Reese's sticks
Wafers, Reese's peanut butter, chocolate, all in stick form.  Home run.  You don't have to deal with the Reese's Cup wrapper, and you get some crunch for your money.  These are really great, and you should try them if you haven't.  You'll thank me later.


3 Musketeers Mint 
Smaller, better for you, minty, may as well be health food.  A favorite of the lady of the house.



That's all for now. Remember, you can eat candy and enjoy it in moderation. There's so much out there past what you usually see, you just need to spend a few minutes exploring the candy isle.

3 comments:

  1. Those 3 Musketeers Mint bars need to be BIGGER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I'll have to take a closer look at all those candy bars displayed at my checkout lane. It's already been hard resisting the discounted Valentine chocolate. I'll go for anything with caramel, and those 3Musketeers Mint thingies look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the new coconut cream Hershey's Kisses. They taste like Mounds, just smaller, though you may be able to detect a difference in the chocolate. (Shelley)

    ReplyDelete